Nazarbayev University (NU) – located in Astana, Kazakhstan – is a new Western-style, English-medium institution, created with the support of other leading university partners around the world. Due to expansion, Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education (NUGSE) is recruiting two Academic English Instructor. The review of applications begins in August and continues until positions are filled.
NUGSE began providing its first Master’s level programs in September 2013, supported by its strategic partners, the University of Cambridge, Faculty of Education and the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education. NUGSE currently offers an MSc in Educational Leadership, an MA in Multilingual Education, and a Ph.D. program. The M.Sc. in Educational Leadership offers specializations in School Education, Inclusive Education and Higher Education. NUGSE has developed an innovative, embedded approach to Academic English for our postgraduate research students in two dimensions: scheduled for-credit Academic English courses working in direct support of student program learning; and our Writing Center, providing both online and in-person support for academic writing.
Qualified educators interested in working with highly motivated and accomplished students in an innovative, collaborative, research-oriented environment are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience working with postgraduate research students and working in Online/Blended Learning contexts is definitely an advantage.
Responsibilities of the Academic English Instructor position include:
- Design and teach Academic English courses appropriate for postgraduate research students;
- Teach in Electronic Learning Environments and conventional face-to-face contexts;
- Provide consultations, tutoring and other writing support activities (Writing Center);
- Collaborate with NUGSE faculty to align work with students’ course and program learning needs;
- Plan and implement NUGSE professional development activities;
- Participate in committees/general meetings at School and University levels;
- Contribute to the wider Kazakhstani education community through scholarly/professional activities (e.g., publications/conferences/workshops/seminars).
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in TESOL (or related field);
- Relevant experience working with university students (postgraduate research students preferred);
- Relevant experience working with ESOL students;
- Relevant experience in the field of Academic English/Academic Literacies;
- Capacity for working in an online context (synchronous and asynchronous).
Conditions of Employment:
The appointment is a 1-year renewable contract subject to annual performance reviews. An attractive remuneration package for international faculty members includes:
- Internationally competitive salary;
- Annual holiday leave of 56 calendar days;
- Two flights for the appointee and dependents to home country per year;
- International health insurance;
- Rent-free apartment for the appointee and dependents; and
- Relocation allowance including air fares for the appointee and dependents.
To apply, please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, together with the names and contact details of two referees online at https://smrtr.io/63_sB no later than August 12, 2021.
Zoom/Skype interviews for shortlisted applicants will be scheduled during August 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Interested candidates are encouraged to find out more about NUGSE at gse.nu.edu.kz.
Informal enquiries about this post can be addressed to the Academic English Program Coordinator, Robert Gordyn, at firstname.lastname@example.org