This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE (10 Months) Tenure Track position as Ethnic Studies Instructor (African American/Black Studies Emphasis) in the Division of Humanities, Social Sciences, Arts and Physical Education located at Evergreen Valley College.
Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
2. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
3. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
4. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
5. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
6. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
7. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
8. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
9. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
10. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
11. Create and foster a relationship with our communities, such as, but not limited to, participating in on/off campus events (African American History Month, Juneteenth).
12. Work collaboratively with the Evergreen Valley College's Umoja-AFFIRM program.
Required Qualifications: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Masters in the Ethnic Studies field
Masters in American Studies/Ethnicity, Latino Studies, La Raza Studies, Central American Studies, Latin American Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, Race and Ethnic Relations, Asian-American Studies, or African-American Studies OR the equivalent OR see Interdisciplinary Studies
See Interdisciplinary Studies
Desired Qualifications: Desired Qualifications:
1. Community college teaching experience. 2. Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse programs outside of instruction. 3. Experience working with community organizations. 4. Online teaching experience, training, and/or certification.5. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the Districts hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
Salary Range: $81,767 to $112,242 Entry Level Annual Salary (10 Month Academic Salary Schedule 2021-2022); Maximum Salary Potential $145,632. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Benefits: Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts and PE San Jose/Evergreen Community College District